Do You Need To Obtain A Guardianship?
Guardianship refers to the legal authority to act on behalf of another person. A guardianship can be a necessary tool for caretakers of vulnerable adults.
The process for obtaining a guardianship in North Dakota can be complicated, however – especially if the guardianship is contested. Attorney Kelsey Hankey can take the weight off your shoulders and ensure that you have professional guidance for this complex process.
Skilled Representation In North Dakota Guardianship Cases
Our legal team at Hankey Law Firm is committed to helping you navigate guardianship proceedings with the individualized attention you deserve. We can provide honest, upfront guidance on all aspects of your guardianship case, including any hurdles that may arise along the way.
Our attorneys are skilled at anticipating problems and developing proactive strategies for avoiding them. When unavoidable obstacles do arise, we can address them with competence.
When To Consider An Adult Guardianship
If you have a child with special needs, you may need to consider pursuing a guardianship when they approach turning 18. That way, you can continue to provide for their needs into adulthood.
Other reasons you may need to seek an adult guardianship include:
- An aging parent or loved one has developed dementia or Alzheimer’s and can no longer care for themselves
- A loved one has become incapacitated due to an illness or injury
We can determine whether your situation meets the grounds for a guardianship.
Types Of Adult Guardianships
In North Dakota, there are three types of adult guardianships:
- Emergency guardianship, which is intended to provide a more immediate, short-term grant of authority in urgent situations. It expires after 90 days.
- Limited guardianship, which grants the guardian authority over limited decisions and lasts until it is no longer needed.
- Full guardianship, which grants the guardian authority over all decisions.
Our lawyers can advise you on which type of guardianship makes the most sense for your situation.
Contact Us For Help With Guardianship
We invite you to reach out to us online or by phone at 701-999-2326 to learn more about how we can help you pursue an adult guardianship. Our office is centrally located in downtown Grand Forks, across the street from the courthouse and kitty-corner from Grand Forks County Social Services.